Date: Tuesday May 21 - Friday May 24, 2019
Location: UBC, 2207 Main Mall, Earth Sciences Buildling: Main Meeting Venue, V6T 1Z4Get Tickets
To avoid the worst consequences of climate change, the energy chain of the global economy must be drastically decarbonized. This exploratory workshop will build a greater dialogue between those in the mathematical sciences and the clean energy sector. The workshop will include: first-hand accounts of mathematical scientists working in clean energy projects, kind and gentle introductions to clean energy systems and mathematical tools, graduate student presentations, and panel discussions on topics such as challenges in clean energy. The goal of the workshop is to inspire interest in further exploration and to nucleate collaborations between mathematical scientists and practitioners in clean energy. Mathematical scientists with no previous experience in clean energy research are welcome.
- Energy Market Modelling
- Storage and Distribution
- Energy policy
- Eric Anderson, PhD, Head of Technology, Anderson Optimization
- Aleksandr Aravkin, Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics, UWashington
- Tony Bi, Professor of Chemical Engineering and Associate Director, Clean Energy Research Centre, UBC
- Matthew Breakey, P.Eng, Senior Specialist, WSP, Wind Energy, Nanaimo, BC
- Matthew Davison, Dean and Professor of Statistical and Acturial Sciences, University of Western Ontario
- Guy Dumas, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Director of CFD laboratory LMFN, ULaval
- Michael Friedlander, Professor of Computer Science and Institute of Applied Mathematics Director, UBC
- Lorne Gettel, PhD, Co-founder and President, Electra Motor Corporation
- Bhushan Gopaluni, Professor of Chemical Engineering, Associate Dean of Applied Science, UBC
- Takashi Hikihara, Professor of Electrical Engineering, Advanced Electrical Systems Theory Lab, KyotoU
- Younghun Kim, Director of Data Science, Utopus Insights
- Artem Korobenko, Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, UCalgary
- Justine McMillan, Scientist, Rockland Scientific International
- Iain Moyles, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Limerick, Ireland
- Elena Popovici, PhD, Senior Computer Scientist, Neurio Technology Inc.
- Bryson Robertson, Associate Professor of Civil and Construction Engineering Oregon State University & Director Pacific Marine Energy Centre
- Deniz Sezer, Associate Professor of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Calgary
- Akeel Shah, School of Engineering, University of Warwick
- Pang-Chieh Sui, PhD, Professor of Automative Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology
- Blake Shaffer, Postdoctoral Fellow, Stanford University
- Anatoliy Swishchuk, Professor of Mathematics and Statistics, UCalgary
- Mike Thiessen, Manager, Sustainable Research, Genus Capital Management
- Peter Vorobieff, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, University of New Mexico
- Cameron Wade, PhD Student, UVictoria
- Antony Ware, Professor and Head of Mathematics and Statistics, UCalgary
- Andrew Weaver, Member of BC Legislative Assembly and Professor of Earth and Ocean Sciences, UVictoria
- Brian Wetton, Professor of Mathematics, UBC
- David Wood, Schulich Chair in Renewable Energy, Professor of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, UCalgary
Call for Poster Presentations
The organizers invite interested participants to submit an abstract (maximum 200 words, in English) of a proposed poster presentation.
Complete the poster application here by January 25th, 2019. You do not need to register or pay the registration fees before you apply to present.
Deadline for funding support application (accommodation and travel) is January 25th, 2019.
Early Bird Registration deadline is February 25th, 2019.