Clean Energy BC’s Response to CleanBC

Clean Energy BC’s Response to CleanBC

99af95e5-fd90-4ac4-888c-1e93e54fd9eb

 

Clean Energy BC applauds the Provincial Government’s release of the CleanBC climate and clean growth plan yesterday. The strategy aims to move BC 75% of the way to meeting 2030 emissions-reduction targets, with the remaining 25% to be determined over the next 18-24 months. It represents the culmination of multiple Ministries, perspectives and approaches that forges a climate plan for British Columbia that is the province’s most ambitious to date. Best practices from around the world are being included, and multiple perspectives sit at the heart of the decision-making frameworks. As a very early adopter of carbon taxation, BC has already shown that climate action equates to economic success. We are happy to see that electrification is featured within CleanBC, and as usual the devil is in the detail. It is good to see that the modeling will be shared within the next few weeks, as this will enable us to compare the research from our white paper with the assumptions in the plan. We look forward to identifying opportunities for further clean energy projects with our First Nation partners.

This week, world leaders converge on Katowice, Poland for COP24, the United Nations Climate Change Conference. Officials will continue to work on the commitments under the Paris Climate Agreement under which a large group of countries pledge to limit global warming to below 2 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels. It is expected that details will be introduced regarding the implementation of Article 6 of the Paris Agreement, which enables international cooperation and new market-based mitigation mechanisms. This represents an opportunity for Canada and British Columbia to contribute to the reduction of global emissions and to support Canada’s commitments under the Agreement.

On this note, there is an opportunity to join the Honourable Michelle Mungall, Minister of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources, for an evening of food and drink in Vancouver. As a political event, tickets need to be purchased personally and not through your organization. Join Minister Mungall on Wednesday, December 12th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm to discuss CleanBC and what it means for our sector.

View the full CleanBC report here.

View the highlights of the CleanBC report here.

 

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | ©2019 Clean Energy BC. All Rights Reserved.

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?